Chocolate MuffinsPosted by: Vanillicious / Dessert type: Quick and Easy Desserts
This recipe is courtesy of Marta A (yes, Marta without h), the most talented food photographer I know. These were baked in her kitchen one afternoon, and while baked, and enjoying the new set and accessories of that particular photography location and the lighting at her apartment, which is much better than in mine. So I was trying to make the most out of it.
As I already mentioned, muffins are one of the easiest and quickest desserts ever, and everybody just love ‘em! And please, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong!
So how easy is the art of preparing the muffin batter? So easy, that I can put it together in one sentence: mix the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet in another, then pour the mixed wet ingredients in the mixed dry ones and mix until just incorporated.
The rest – spooning into the cases is just too much fun (especially the finger licking part) to be considered as part of the no too much time consuming process.
The pictured muffins are drizzled with some Irish cream frosting, and here’s how it’s done: Mix Irish cream and icing sugar in a 1:3 proportions (for example: 1 tbsp Irish cream, 3 tbsp icing sugar), and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes. Then mix again and pour over the muffins. that’s it.
For 12 muffins, you’ll need:
- 12 hole muffin tin or 2×6 hole muffin tins, lined with muffin cases
- 225g plain flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 2tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 115g brown sugar
- 250ml buttermilk
- 100g chocolate chips (or chocolate bar, broken into chocolate chips-size pieces)
- 80ml vegetable oil (I prefer rape seed oil)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
(1) Preheat the oven to 200c
(2) Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl, then add sugar and chocolate chips
(3) In another bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla.
(4) Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients bowl, and pour the wet ingredients in
(5) Mix until just combined
(6) Fill 3/4 of each of the muffin cases with the muffin mixture
(7) Bake for 15 minutes or until firm
(8) Allow the muffin to cool a little on a wire rack before consuming